Print this page

SINGAPORE SIKH MISSIONARY TRACT SOCIETY, renamed Sikh Missionary Tract Society, Malaya, in 1941 and Sikh Missionary Society, Malaya, in 1946, when it was reactivated after having remained dormant during (lie war in the East, was registered on 9 March 1940, with its offices at 175, Queen Street, Singapore. The founder was Bhag Singh, an English teacher, admired among the local community for his mastery of Sikh music.

The Society aimed at the spread of knowledge about Sikhism and propagation of gurbam, providing especially opportunities for Sikh children to learn Punjabi.During the first year of its existence, it published, for free distribution, a total of 26,000 copies of tracts on Sikhism in Punjabi, English and Tamil. Between 1946 and 1965, it had published 1,00,000 copies covering thirty titles, including two in the Chinese language, Written by eminent Sikh scholars such as Professor Teja Singh, Professor Puran Singh and Dr Ganda Singh, these tracts were widely circulated.

The Society also engaged preachers who travelled throughout Malaya making speeches at public meetings. Punjabi classes were held for Sikh children, introducing them to Sikh Scriptural texts. The Society still operates though its activity is now restricted mainly to Singapore. Mv.S.

 

865
Joomla SEF URLs by Artio