CHHEHARTA SAHIB, GURDWARA,CHHEHARTA SAHIB, GURDWARA, 7 km west of Amritsar (31Â° 38`N, 74Â° 52`E), is named after a well got sunk by Guru Arjan (1563-1606). The well was so wide that six Persian wheels installed around it could operate simultaneously. Hence its name Chheharta, lit. having six (chhe) Persian wheels (hart or ha/t). The well is now covered up, but its water is pumped up to feed the main tank of the Gurdwara.
Now developed as an industrial township, Chheharta falls within the revenue limits ofVadali Guru, a village one km to the south, where Guru Arjan had stayed during 1594-97.The Gurdwara complex, set on a 6acre walled compound, includes a divan hall, with a square sanctum in the middle enclosed by a brass palisade. Above the sanctum is a square room with a lotus dome topped by a goldplated pinnacle. Two Nishan Sahibs, Sikh flags, atop 25metre tall flagposts, one on either side, stand in front of the hall.
The Gurdwara is managed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee, which also controls other historical shrines ofVadali Guru. Congregations held on the fifth day of the light half of every lunar month attract large gatherings. The largestattended is the fair held on this day in the month of Magh (JanuaryFebruary) which marks the popular Basant Parichami festival.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar n.d.
2. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923