BARH, a town in Patna district of Bihar, 56 km east of old Patna city (25Â° 37`N, 85Â° 10`E), is sacred to Guru Tegh Bahadur who stayed here during his tour of the eastern districts in 1666. It has one Suthrashahi Sangat and two Udasi Sangats existing of old. Guru Tegh Bahadur stayed at what is known as Bari (larger) Sangat, situated in Chuna Khari Mohalla. It was spread over a oneacre compound and had a prayer hall with the Guru Granth Sahib seated in the centre. But the building^was completely destroyed in the 1934 earthquake, with the exception of an old well which is still in use.
The priests never had the resources to re build it, though they continue to be in possession of the open site. They claim to belong to Nanak Panthi Udasin Mat, but do not observe celibacy. They live with their families in a couple of rooms in one corner, and follow mundane professions for their livelihood. However, a handwritten copy of the Guru Granth Sahib and an old Janam Sakhi are kept by them reverently wrapped in coverlets. A small gurdwara has been established in Barh in recent years byTakht Harimandar Sahib, Patna, for half a dozen families of native Bihari Sikhs. It is located in Balipur Mohalla, Pipal Tal, near Tiraha Chowk.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare DarsAan. Amritsar, 1923
3. Fauja Singh, Guru Teg Bahadur : Yatra Asthan, Pramparavan te Yad Chinn. Patiala, 1976