GHANAUR JATTAN, locally called Tall Ghanaur, village on the left bank of the Ghaggar Branch of the Sirhind canal, about 30 km southeast of Sangrur (30Â°14`N, 75Â°50`E) in the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Hargobind and Guru Tegh Bahadur. A small domed Manji Sahib commemorates the visits of the Gurus. Two karir trees, one in the circumambulatory passage and the other in the compound, believed to have sprouted from the wooden posts to which Guru Hargobind had tethered his horse, are held in veneration by the villagers.
With the construction of a much bigger gurudwara across the canal by Mahant Parijab Singh and Mahant Mehar Singh, this historical old shrine has fallen into a state of comparative neglect and the ancillary rooms for the langar and for lodging pilgrims lie unused. Yet the Guru Granth Sahib is seated in the Mariji Sahib and is served by the village sangat.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurdudre Darshan. Amritsar, 1923