QILA GUJJAR SINGH
QILA GUJJAR SINGH, a residential area within the limits of Lahore, was designated a “fort” when in April 1765 the city was parcelled out among the three Bharigi Sardars, Gujjar Singh, Lahina Singh and Sobha Singh. The area outside the walled city of Lahore, about five square miles, towards the Shalamar side, fell to the share of Sardar Gujjar Singh.
An entrance gateway was constructed by the Sardar to demarcate his “kingdom”. Since then the area has been known as Qila (Fort) Gujjar Singh. However, in spite of being ruled by the Bharigi Sardar independently, the enclave remained part of the city of Lahore. The British built in this area the railway station and the police lines.
1. Latif, Syad Muhammad, Lahore: Its History, Architectural Remains and Antiquities. Lahore, 1892
2. Baqir, Muhammad, Lahore, Past and Present. Lahore, 1952