PAIRA, BHAI (d. 1634), a Chandalia Banjara, took initiation at the hands of Guru Arjan. Bhai Paira served with diligence and devotion at the time of the digging of the sacred pool at Amritsar. He was one of the five Sikhs who accompanied Guru Arjan during his last journey to Lahore. According to Gurbilds Chhevin Pdtshdhi, he displayed soldierly skills in the time of Guru Hargobind and had command of 100 horsemen. Bhai Paira was in Guru Hargobind`s train when he visited Kashmir in 1620. He fell fighting in the battle of Amritsar fought, according to the Bhatt Vahis, in 1634.
1. Mani Singh, Bhai, Sikhan di Bhagat Mala. Amritsar, 1955
2. Santokh Singh, Bhai, Sri Gur Pratdp Suraj Granth. Amritsar, 1927-35
3. Sohan Kavi, Gurbilds Chhevin Pdtshdhi. Amritsar, 1968
4. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Guru Khalsd [Reprint], Patiala. 1970
5. Macauliffe, Max Arthur., The Sikh Religion. Oxford, 1909