AHMADlYAH MOVEMENT, started in the late nineteenth century as a reforming and rejuvenating current in Islam, originated in Qadian in Gurdaspur district of the Punjab. In the 1880`s, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, son of the chief landowning family of Qadian, after he had received revelations and preached a renewal of Islamic
ANJUMANIPANJAB, founded in Lahore on 21 January 1865 by the distinguished linguist, Dr Gottlieb Wilhelm Leitner, who became successively the first principal of the Government College at Lahore and the first registrar of the University of the Panjab, was a voluntary society which aimed at the development of "vernacular literature"
CHIEF KHALSA DIWAN. Until the emergence of more radical platforms such as the Sikh League (1919), Shiromam Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (1920) and Shiromani Akali Dal (1920), the Chief Khalsa Diwan, established on 30 October 1902, was the main council of the Sikhs, controlling their religious and educational affairs and raising
GURMAT GRANTH PRACHARAK SABHA, an association aiming at propagating Sikh religion through publications, was established at Amritsar on 8 April 1885 by Giani Sardul Singh to continue the work started by his father, Giani Gian Singh (d. 30 March 1884), the first secretary of Sri Guru Singh Sabha, Amritsar, established
GURU NANAK PRAKASH PRESS, a litho printing press, started around AD 1859 in the village of Pipri, near Gorakhpur in the Uttar Pradesh, by Karivar Jagjot Singh, grandson of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and son of Karivar Pashaura Singh, for printing books in Gurmukhi script with a view to promoting Punjabi
GURU NANAK VIDYA BHANDAR TRUST, aiming at promoting education among Sikhs, was founded in 1924 by Sardar Bahadur Dharam Singh. He had the inspiration from Sant Afar Singh of Mastuana, a Sikh saint widely revered for his piety at that time. The Trust was formally registered on 10 May 1932.
GURU NANAK VIDYAK SOCIETY, established in Bombay in July 1947 by the Deccan Khalsa Diwan, and registered with the Registrar of Companies on 27 March 1948 to provide educational facilities for the children of refugee families migrating to Bombay from riotaffected areas in the north. Funds were raised through voluntary
PANJABI PRACHARNI SABHA, society for the promotion of Punjabi language, established in 1882 under the aegis of the Lahore Singh Sabha. In pursuance of the policy set forth in the famous Wood`s Dispatch of 1853 (a letter from Sir Charles Wood, President of the Board of Control of the East
SHAHID SIKH MISSIONARY COLLEGE, at Amritsar, a college for training Sikh preachers, was opened in October 1927 in memory of the shahids, i.e. martyrs, who had on 20 February 1921 laid down their lives at Nankana Sahib, birthplace of Guru Nanak, during the campaign for the reform of the management
New membership are not allowed.