KIRATPUR SAHIB (76°35`E, SPll`N), a small town in Sivalak foothills in Rupnagar (Ropar) district of the Punjab, was founded by Baba Gurditta under instructions from his father, Guru Hargobind. According to the BhattVahis, the foundation was laid by Baba Sri Ghand, the aged son of Guru Nanak, on Baisakh Puranmashi
Read More
KOLAYAT, popularly pronounced Kulait, a town 52 km southwest of Bikaner (28"04`N, 73021`E), is famous for a temple dedicated to Kapila Muni, an ancient Hindu sage to whom the Sankhya system of philosophy is attributed. According to Sikh chroniclers, Guru Nanak visited Kolayat. Guru Gobind Singh, at the time of
Read More
KOT BHAI, village 7 km northeast of Giddarbaha (30°12`N, 74°39`E) in Faridkot district of the Punjab, is named after Bhai Bhagatu, a devout Sikh who served the Fifth, Sixth and the Seventh Gurus. When Guru Gobind Singh (16661708) visited the village in 1706, two bdmds, i.e. shopkeeperscummoneylenders, Rangi and Ghummi
Read More
KOT DHARMU, village 13 km south of the district town Mansa (29°59`N, 75°23`E), in the Punjab, has a historical shrine, Gurdwara Sulisar Sahib Patshahi Nauvin, commemorating the visit of Guru Tegh Bahadur. According to the Sakhl Pothi, Guru Tegh Bahadur stopped here near a pool on his way back from
Read More
KOTHA GURU, famous old village of the Punjab, announces its antiquity through the existence on its outskirts of a deserted ancient mound. This bulbous mountain of sand dominates the entire skyline of the village concealing within its folds many a layer of distant history. Once upon a time this sprawling
Read More
KOTKAPURA (30°35`N, 74°49`E), town in FarTdkot district of the Punjab, was founded by Ghaudhari Kzpura (d. 1708), a Brar chief in the country south of the River Sutlej and an ancestor of the Faridkot family. When after evacuating Anandpur Guru Gobind Singh arrived here in December 1705 pursued by the
Read More
LANGAR CHHANNI, a village in Ambala district of Haryana, about 13 km southeast of Ambala cantonment (30°21`N, 76″50`E), is sacred to Guru Tcgh Bahadur. According to local tradition, the Guru halted in this village while travelling from Haridvar to Lakhnaur Sahib along witli the members of his family. Larigar Chhanm
Read More
MADHO SINGHANA is a village 15 km south of Sirsa in Haryana. Guru Gobind Singh after leaving Sirsa towards the South made his first halt here. As the village was totally populated by Muslims, no memorial shrine existed until a lone Nihang Singh established a gurdwara during the 1970\'s along
Read More
MALVA, not to be mixed with a tract of this name in Central India, is one of the three main divisions of the present Punjab state of India, the other two being Majha and Doaba. It is in the shape of a rough parallelogram lying between 29°-30 and 31°-10 North
Read More
MEHRAJ, also spoken as Mahiraj or Marhaj, is a village 6 km northwest of Rampura Phul (30°16`N, 75°14`E) in Bathinda district founded in 1627 by Bhai Mohan (d. 1630), aJatt of the Siddhu clan, with the blessings and help of Guru Hargobind. According to Sikh tradition, Mohan with his tribe
Read More
MOHI, village in Ludhiana district, 9 km from Jodhari (30°48`N, 75°48`E) along the Guru Gobind Singh Marg, has a shrine called Gurdwara Patshahi Dasviri, dedicated to Guru Gobind Singh. Guru Gobind Singh passed through this village on his way from Alamgir andJodhari to Hehrari at the end of 1`705. It
Read More
MORINDA (SOWN, 76°29`E), also called Baganvala, an old village in Ropardistrict of the Punjab, has a historical shrine called Gurdwara Shahidgarij. On 7 December 1705, as Guru Gobind Singh along with his two elder sons and a handful of disciples, was locked in an unequal battle with the besieging hordes
Read More
Categories