NIRMOHGARH SAHIB, GURDWARA
NIRMOHGARH SAHIB, GURDWARA, situated on top of a low hill 4 km south of Kiratpur (31Â° ll`N, 76Â° 35`E), is dedicated to Guru Gobind Singh. In August 1700, Anandpur, which was then the seat of Guru Gobind Singh, was attacked by a combined force of several of the surrounding hill chiefs. For four days, their troops assaulted successively the four fortresses built around the main citadel, Anandgarh, but they found all of them impregnable. Finally, they laid a siege to Anandgarh in the hope of starving the Sikhs into surrender, but without effect. They then resorted to a ruse.
They offered peace to Guru Gobind Singh upon solemn oaths, only if he would leave Anandpur temporarily to enable them to lift the siege with honour. The Guru agreed and on 2 October 1700 retired to a camp set up on the hills around the village of Hardo Namoh. The hilltop where he had established himself came to be known as Namohgarh or Nirmohgarh. The hill rajas did not keep their word, and again surrounded the Sikhs. The latter repulsed their attacks which, according to the BhattVahis, took place on 7, 12, and 13 October 1700.
On 14 October.Guru Gobind Singh and his Sikhs broke the cordon and crossed the Sutlej into Basohli, a small friendly state. It is said that, during the siege of Nirmohgarh, the hill chiefs succeeded in requisitioning the services of some imperial troops, including a cannoneer. Just at the opening of the next engagement, the cannoneer fired a shot aimed at Guru Gobind Singh, who was sitting on the top of Nirmohgarh hill.
The Guru, however, remained unhurt, although an attendant, Bhai Ram Singh, was killed. The Guru instantly picked his bow and arrow and pierced the cannoneer dead. The site now has a memorial in the shape of small singleroom gurudwara. The gurudwara is managed by the Nihangs.
1. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurduarian. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Narotam, Tara Singh, Sri Guru Tirath Sangrahi. Kankhal, 1975