BHANGANIBHANGANI, a small village on the right bank of the River Yamuna about 11 km from Paonta (30Â°25`N, 70Â°40`E) in Sirmur district of Himachal Pradesh was the scene of a battle between the hill rajas and Guru Gobind Singh. The chiefs taking exception to Guru Gobind Singh`s teaching equalizing all castes and feeling jealous of his growing influence, marched against him, led by Raja Fateh Chand of Srinagar (Garhval). Forestalling the attack on Paonta, Guru Gobind Singh advanced towards Bhangani with his Sikhs.
The rajas, reinforced by a few hundred Pathans who had deserted the Guru`s camp, were confident of their strength and had imprudently collected their force in the open ground on the river bed. The Guru established his base in a grove and kept his forward troops on a higher ground, and selected for himself a vantage point from where to direct the action. The battle fought on 18 September 1688 ended in favour of the Sikhs. Two shrines exist at Bhangani commemorating this battle. GURDWARA TiRGARHi stands on the mound where the Guru had stood to control the battle.
The present building at Gurdwara Tir Garhi consists of a square hall with a verandah on all four sides. GURDWARA BHANGANI SAHIB marks the site where the Guru had kept his munitions and provisions. The Gurdwara was reconstructed in late 1970`s by Sant Seva Singh of Anandpur. Adjacent to the Gurdwara is a well sunk in 1936-37 by Baba Indar Singh, a disciple of Baba Karam Singh of Hoti. Both these gurdwaras are managed by a local committee.
1. Kuir Singh, Gurbilas Patshahi 10. Patiala, 1968
2. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923
3. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
4. Harbans Singh, Guru Gobind Singh. Chandigarh, 1966