NAHAN (30° 33`N, 77° 17`E), situated on top of a ridge in the upper reaches of Markanda River, in Sirmur district of Himachal Pradesh, and formerly the capital of the princely state of Sirmur, has a historical gurdwara dedicated to Guru Gobind Singh.Guru Gobind Singh visited Nahan in 1685 on the invitation of the ruler of the state. Raja Medini Prakash. The Raja offered him land on the bank of the Yamuna to build for himself a permanent abode.
This led to the foundation of Paonta Sahib, where Guru Gobind Singh stayed for the next three years. A Manji Sahib was established where the Guru had stayed at Nahan. It has since been replaced by a handsome, though small, shrine known as Gurdwara Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Patshahi 10. The new building, completed in 1954, has a square divan hall, with a marble canopied throne for the Guru Granth Sahib. The lotus dome above the hall surrounded by decorative cupolas, is covered with marble slabs and carries a golden pinnacle. A committee of local sangat manages the shrine.
1. Santokh Singh, Bhai, Sri Gur Pratap Suraj Granth. Amritsar, 1927-35
2. Gupta, H.R., History of the Sikh Gurus. Delhi, 1973