PEHOVAPEHOVA or Pahoa, also called Paheva or Bheva (29Â°59`N, 76Â°35`E), an ancient pilgrimage centre of the Hindus situated on the left bank of the rivulet Sarsvati, in Kurukshetra district of Haryana, has two historical gurudwaras. GURDWARA BAOLI SAHIB, located outside the old town, is dedicated to Guru Nanak, though Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Gobind Singh are also said to have visited the site. Guru Nanak was in Pehova at the time of the festival of Chef Chaudas (fourteenth day of the dark half of the month of Chet) and preached on the futility of offering oblations for the benefit of the souls of one`s ancestors long dead.
The indignant priests of the temple on the Sarasvati banks resented the Guru`s presence in the precincts of their temple, and he shifted to the site marked by the present Gurdwara. A bdoH (well with steps descending down to water level) was constructed later to cater for the needs of the pilgrims. The Sikh chiefs of Kaithal constructed a gurudwara, but it fell into a state of neglect after the principality was annexed to the British dominions in 1843. Reconstruction of the gurudwara was undertaken by Sant Jivan Singh in 1950.
The present building has a main hall, covered with marble slabs, with a central pavilion for the Guru Granth Sahib.The central pavilion has a massive lotus dome above it. A spacious rectangular pavilion to the north of the central building serves as a dwdn hall for larger assemblies on festivals and other special occasions. The shrine is controlled by the Shiromam Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee who have entrusted management for the present to the successors of Baba Jivan Singh. MAN]! SAHIB, situated on the bank of the holy rivulet Sarasvati, is another historical gurudwara at Pehova close to Gurdwara Baoli Sahib.
The place is sacred to Guru Nanak, Guru Amar Das, Guru Hargobind, Guru Har Rai, Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Gobind Singh whose visits the shrine commemorates.To mark the site a Mariji Sahib was constructed by the Sikh rulers of Kaithal in the eighteenth century. It was replaced by a larger gurudwara in recent years. The present building consists of two marble covered halls, one above the other. The Guru Granth Sahib is seated in the highceiling hall on the first floor. For management the shrine is affiliated to Gurdwara Baoli Sahib.
1. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurduarian. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Narotam, Tara Singh, Sri Guru Ttrath Sangrahi. Kankhal, 1975