BRAHMAN MAJRA, an old village, about 11 km southeast of Ropar (30Â° 58`N, 76Â° 31`E), is sacred to Guru Hagobind and Guru Gobind Singh. Gurdwara Guru Garh Sahib commemorates the visit of Guru Gobind Singh on 6 December 1705 when he, with his two elder sons and 40 Sikhs, was on his way from Kotia Nihang Khan to Chamkaur. The Gurdwara about 50 metres outside the village, constructed during the 1970`s, consists of a square divan hall with a verandah in front.
The sanctum within it is marked off by 16 squareshaped pillars. The oneacre walled compound also contains Guru ka Larigar and rooms for the pilgrims. The second shrine in the northern part of the village is called Gurdwara Patshahi Chhevin in memory of Guru Hargobind who, it is believed, passed through here in 1638 on his way back from Kurukshetra. The Pathans of Ropar supported by Ranghars and Gujjars of the surrounding villages made an unprovoked attack on the Guru to avenge an earlier defeat on 1 July 1635, when Raja Himmat Chand Hinduri, supported by 100 SikhS under Baba Gurditta, had worsened the Pathans in the battle of Nangal Gujjran.
Now finding the Guru with only a handful of his disciples, a rabble force blocked his way. The Guru had to take shelter in Brahman Majra village but the exemplary courage of the Sikhs and the Guru`s own skill in archery kept the multitude at a distance. Meanwhile, reinforcements arrived from Kiratpur and the assailants were driven away with heavy losses. The present Gurdwara was constructed only in 1975 at the instance of Sant Kartar Singh of Bhindran. It consists of a single square room in which the Guru Granth Sahib is installed.