CHABBA, a village 10 km south of Amritsar (31Â° 38`N, 74Â° 52`E) along AmritsarTarn Taran road, has a historical shrine called Gurdwara Sangrana Sahib. The Gurdwara itself is so named because, according to local tradition, one of the battles (sangram in Hindi and Punjabi) of Amritsar between Guru Hargobind (1595-1644) and the Mughal troops was fought here. Another tradition connected with the place is that Sulakkhani, a childless woman of the village, asked for and received a boon from Guru Hargobind as a result of which she subsequently became the mother of seven sons.
Local tradition also claims the place to have been consecrated by Guru Arjan (1563-1606), who halted here for the night on his way to Amritsar along with potbis or books containing the sacred hymns of his predecessors borrowed from Baba Mohan of Goindval. GURDWARA SANGRANA SAHIB is located within a walled compound entered through an imposing twostoreyed gateway. The central building is a hall with a square sanctum in the middle. Above the sanctum is a domed room topped by a goldplated pinnacle.
Guru ka Langar, community kitchen, is on the right of the central building and on the left side is an old well and the sarovar, holy tank. Adjoining the sarovar is the divan hall. The Gurdwara is managed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.