GHURANI KALAN, an old village in Ludhiana district, was visited by Guru Hargobind in whose memory two gurudwaras have since been constructed. GURDWARA CHOLA SAHIB PATSHAI II CHHEVIN is inside the village and marks the residence of Bhai Surtia, the local masand, leader of the local Sikh group, at the time of the Guru`s visit. Guru Hargobind is said to have stayed with him for 45 days. He was pleased by his devotion and bestowed upon him a few articles, the following of which are still preserved in the Gurdwara as sacred relics: 1. A chold or loose gown with 52 strings attached to it.
This is believed to be the cloak Guru Hargobind was wearing when, holding on to it, 52 captive princes secured their release from the Gwalior Fort. The Gurdwara is named after this relic. 2. A pothi or sacred book. It is a small handwritten volume containing some of the bams from the Guru Granth Sahib. The page at which it is kept open for display show^s the first sloka and part of the first astpadi of the Sukhmam in golden characters of the Gurmukhi script. 3. A single shoe done in handsomely embroidered velvet cloth.
The area around GhuranT later fell under the influence of the followers of Baba Ram Rai who lacked proper respect for the Sikh Gurus. In 1710, a complaint reached Banda Singh Bahadur, the conqueror of Sirhind, that the priests of Ghuram had not only insulted a Sikh, Bulaki Singh, and bro ken his rebeck, but also used insolent language about the Gurus. Banda Singh occupied the territory, chastised the Ram Raia masands of Ghurani and appointed Bulaki Singh lhaneddr, local police chief, of the district. The present building, standing on a two metre high plinth, consists of a rectangular hall, enclosing the old Mariji Sahib.
The room where the sacred relics are kept was added in 1958. The Gurdwara is affiliated to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee which manages it through a local committee. All the principal anniversaries on the Sikh calendar are observed in the Gurdwara, but two special festivals are the birthday of Guru Hargobind and Hola. Hola in this village marks the day on which Guru Hargobind arrived here 25 Phagun 1688 Bk corresponding to 21 February 1632. GURDWARA NIMSAR outside the village to the east of it was a pond to which Guru Hargobind used to repair early in the morning for ablutions and meditation.
An old mm (Margo) tree, believed to have sprouted from one of the tooth cleansing twigs the Guru once stuck here, still stands. The pond has now been converted into a properly lined tank and a magnificent gurudwara has been constructed on its bank. A brickpaved platform surrounds the nim tree. A small room, with a raised platform inside it, signifies the spot where Guru Hargobind sat for meditation. In this room is also preserved a relic, a portion of the string netting of the bedstead used by the Guru in the house of Bhai Surtia, the masand.
It is a very fine twine of two strands of munj fibre which is a rare specimen of the craftsmanship of old days. The main building, a 13metre square hall, constructed in 1971, stands on a two metre high plinth. Above the hall over the prakdsh asthdn is a domed room with an ornamental gold pinnacle and khandd as the fmial. The Gurdwara is administered by the same committee as manages Gurdwara Chola Sahib.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923