JHABAL KALAN (spelt Chabal in Survey of India maps), village 15 km west of Tarn Taran (31Â°27`N, 74Â°56`E) in Amritsar district of the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Hargobind, who came here to perform the marriage of his daughter, Bibi Viro, on 26Jcth 1686 Bk/ 24 May 1629. During the Mughal times Jhabal fell on the main DelhiLahore highway and the road junction here was known as Manak Chowk. The shrine established at the spot consecrated by Guru Hargobind`s stay on the western edge of the village came to be called Gurdwara Manak Chowk.
It is now known as Gurdwara Bibi Viro Sahib.Constructed, according to local tradition, during the eighteenth century, the building comprises a square marblefloored hall, with the sanctum in the middle. Above the sanctum there are two storeys of square rooms topped by a dome with a goldplated pinnacle. The Gurdwara is managed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. Jhabal has also produced some eminent personalities of Sikh history such as Bhai Larigah, Mat Bhago, Sardar Baghel Singh, the leader of the KarorSinghia misi, and the three Jhabalia brothers, Amar Singh, Sarmukh Singh and Jaswant Singh who took a leading part in the Gurdwara Reform movement. A gurudwara commemorating Mat Bhago has been constructed within the compound of Gurdwara Bibi Viro Sahib.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirnth Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Gurhilds Pdtshdht Chhevin. Patiala, 1970
3. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurdudridn. Amritsar, n.d.