LAMMAN, also known as Lammah Jatpura, in Ludhiana district, is 14 km from Raikot (30Â°39Â°N.`75Â°37Â°E) on the Guru Gobind Singh Marg. Guru Gobind Singh stayed in the village for a few days in December 1705 on his way from Chamkaur to Dina and Kahgar. While Rai Kalha had despatched a fast messenger, Nura Mahi, to Sirhind to bring news of Mata Gujari and two younger sons of Guru Gobind Singh, rumoured to have been taken into custody by the local governor, the Guru halted at Lammah Jatpura to await his return. Nura Main returned and tearfully narrated the tragic happenings at Sirhind.
Guru Gobind Singh sat listening with perfect composure, his eyes fixed on the ground. With the tip of his arrow he was digging, as if absentmindedly, at the root of a dab weed plant. As Nura concluded his doleful tale, the Guru pulled out the dab plant and said, “The roots of tyrants have been dug; they shall be uprooted.” He told his Sikhs not to grieve. He sat in prayer and thanked the Timeless God that he had rendered unto Him what was His. He blessed the Nawab of Malerkotia who had spoken in defence of the children at the Sirhind court.
He also blessed Rai Kallia for his devotion and service, and gave him a sword and a jug as souvenirs. There are two gurdwaras in Lamman to commemorate Guru Gobind Singh`s visit. GURDWARA SAHIB PATSHAHI DASVIN is inside the village on the site of the house of one Bhai Ram Dit Singh where the Guru had stayed overnight. It consists of a Manji Sahib, a small square room topped by a lotus dome in which the Guru Granth Sahib is seated. In front is a rectangular hall. Ancillary buildings for langarvind the granthi are across a paved courtyard.
This Gurdwara is managed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. There is in the Gurdwara a handwritten copy of the Guru Granth Sahib which the inhabitants believe to have been given to the sangat by Guru Gobind Singh himself. GURDWARA GURUSAR PANJtJANA is on the outskirts of the village and marks the spot where the Guru sat during the day to meet the visiting devotees. The building constructed in the 1940`s consists of a large square hall within which is the prakash asthav and two small cubicles. Over the prakash asthan, there is a domed room. Close by is the 45 metre square bathing tank called Guru Sar. The Gurdwara is managed by Sant Ajaib Singh of Boparai who constructed the complex.
1. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurduarian. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.