RAIKOTRAIKOT (300 N, 75Â°37`E), a municipal town in Ludhiana district, is sacred to Guru Gobind Singh. He came here on the invitation of Rai Kalha, the local Muslim chief, and encamped under a shisham or tahli tree at the site of Gurdwara Tahliana Sahib, 1.5 km to the west of the town. According to local tradition, it was here that Guru Gobind Singh heard the news of the martyrdom at Sirhind of his two younger sons brought by Rai Kalha`s messenger. The older building of the Gurdwara, a square domed room with a vcrandah around it constructed in the 1920`s, is still used as the prakdsh asthdn.
Its floor is paved with glazed tiles and the lotus dome above it is topped with an ornamental golden pinnacle and an umbrellalike finial. To this, a rectangular divan hall and a vcrandah on three sides were added later. A small rectangular sarovar is next to the divan hall on the right as one enters. The Gurdwara is managed by the Shiromam Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. The most important annual event is a threeday fair held on 19, 20 and 21 Poh (first week of January) to commemorate Guru Gobind Singh`s visit.
1. Kuir Singh, Gurbilas Patshahl 10, ed. Shamsher Singh Ashok. Patiala, 1968
2. Narotam, Tara Singh, Sri Guru Tirath Sangrahi. Kankhal, 1975
3. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurduarian. Amritsar, n.d.
4. Santokh Singh, Bhai, Sri Gur Pratap Suraj Granth. Amritsar, 1927-35