SULTANVIND, village 4 km southeast of Amritsar (31038`N, 74053`E), has two historical shrines dedicated one each to Guru Arjan (1563-1606) and Guru Hargobind (1595-1644). GURDWARA TUT SAHIB marks the spot to which Guru Arjan often repaired for rest under a mulberry (tut, in Punjabi) tree which no longer exists. The present building, a square flat roofed room, was constructed in 1983 by the local sangat which maintains it.
GURDWARA ATARI SAHIB PATSHAHI CHHEVIN marks the site where, according to local tradition, Guru Hargobind made a halt while travelling from Amritsar to Dalla for his wedding ceremonies. The present building complex located within a walled compound entered through an imposing gateway was constructed during the early 1950`s. The central building is a hall with a square sanctum in the middle where the Guru Granth Sahib is seated. Above the sanctum are two storeys of square rooms topped by a lotus dome having a gold plated pinnacle. A small sarovaris in front of the hall.
The Gurdwara is affiliated to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee but is managed by Baba Kalian Singh Sevavale. Another place of pilgrim interest at Sultanvind is an old well, about 2 km south-west of the village. It is named Bhai Manjhvala Khuh. It was into this well that Bhai Manjh, a devoted Sikh of Guru Arjan, had once fallen with a load of firewood meant for Guru ka Langar on his liead. He kept standing in the shallow water to save his load from getting wet until he was rescued by the Guru on the following day.
1. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Sri Amritsar [Reprint]. Amritsar, 1977