ARJAN SINGH THAPA was the son of the Gurkha general, Amar Singh Thapa, who had advanced his conquests up to Kangra in the early years of the nineteenth century. Maharaja Ranjit Singh expelled him from the Kangra hills, but the Gurkhas had fought so bravely that he decided to
ATAR SINGH ATARIVALA (d. 1897), son of Chatar Singh Atarivala, governor of Hazara. He joined his father during the latter`s re volt against the British in 1848-49 and was, after the annexation of the Punjab, confined within the limits of his village, along with his father and brother, Raja
BISHAN SINGH, a general in the Sikh army, was the adopted son of Jamadar Khushal Singh, the royal chamberlain (deorhidar). He received his education at the Ludhiana Mission School across the AngloSikh frontier. In 1848, when stationed at Pind Dadan Khan, Bishan Singh was ordered to move his troops
DAYAKAUR, RANI (d. 1843), widow of Sahib Singh Bhangi of Gujrat, was married, in 1811, to Maharaja Ranjit Singh by the rite of chadar andazi, a rite having sanction under customary law to facilitate marriage with a widow who is accepted into nuptials by unfurling a chadar or sheet
GURDIT SINGH MAJITHIA (d. 1853), army general in Sikh times, was son of Amar Singh Majithia. He entered Maharaja Ranjit Singh`s service in 1834, and rose to command 3 infantry battalions and a wing of light artillery. General Gurdit Singh was in command of the Lahore troops at Peshawar
HARKISHAN DAS, a purohit or family priest of Maharaja Dulcep Singh, who in 1883 went on a visit to the Maharaja in England and stayed there as his guest for nearly two years. When he returned to India in 1885, he brought with him offerings from the Maharaja for
ISHAR KAUR, RANI (d. 1840), daughter of Lal Singh Sandhu of the village of Sirarivali, in Sialkot district of the Punjab, was married to Prince Kharak Singh, eldest son of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, in 1815, by the rite of chddar anddzi, i.e. throwing across the conjugal sheet. She immolated
JAMIAT RAI alias Jit Mall, a jhwar or water bearer on the domestic establishment of Maharaja Duleep Singh during his stay at Fatehgarh. He belonged to Shahgharib, in Shakargarh tahsil of Gurdaspur district (now in Pakistan). In 1885, he received a letter from the Maharaja then living in England,
JAN MUHAMMAD CHATTHA (d. 1798), son of Ghulam Muhammad Chattha, fled to Kabul on the eve of the conquest of the tort of Manchar in 1790 by Mahari Singh Sukkarchakkia. He accompanied Shah Zaman to India in 1797 and recovered his possessions on the River Chenab in Gujranwala district
KHURSHUID KHALSA (Khurshid, lit, tlie sun rays of tlie sun) is a book in Urdu pertaining to the history of the Sikhs from the time of Guru Nanak published at Aftabi Hind Press in Lahore in 1885. The book caused a considerable amount of controversy in contemporary Sikhism. Already riven
KISHAN KAUR, daughter of Chaudhari Raja Singh belonging to the village of Samra, in Amritsar district of the Punjab, was married to Prince Kharak Singh, eldest son of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, in 1818. She survived her husband and was granted by the British an annual pension of Rs 2,324.
LAL SINGH (1798-1875), of the village of Talvandi in Gurdaspur district, saw, like his father Dal Singh, a good deal of service under Maharaja Ranjit Singh. He fought in the Multan and Kashmir campaigns of 1818-19. He also fought at the famous battle of Jamrud in April 1837, where
New membership are not allowed.