TEJ BHAN, BABATEJ BHAN, BABA (d. 1533), affectionately referred to as Tejo in early chronicles, was the father of Guru Amar Das, Nanak III (1479-1574). A Khatri of the Bhalla clan, Tej Bhan was born to Baba Hariji and Mata Milavi of Basarke Gillari, a village 12 km southwest of Amritsar. He was married at the age of 12 to Bakht Kaur (also known as Lachhmi, Lakhmi or simply Lakkho) from a Duggal Khatri family. Guru Amar Das, born on 5 May 1479, was the eldest of their four sons, the other three being Ishar Das, Khem Rai and Manak Chand. The family lived partly by agriculture and partly by trade. According to Kesar Singh Chhibbar, Bansavalmama, Baba Tej Bhan died in Kattak 1590 Bk, corresponding to October 1533.
1. Chhibbar, Kesar Singh, Bansavalinama Dasan Patshahian Ka, ed. Ratan Singh Jaggi. Chandigarh, 1972
2. Gian Singh, GianI, Twarikh Guru Khalsa. Patiala, 1970
3. Bhalla, Samp Das, Mahima Prakash. Patiala, 1971
4. Satbir Singh, Parbatu Meran.Jalandhar, 1983
5. Jodh Singh, Life of Guru Amar Das. Amritsar, 1949