MATT DAS, BHAI
MATT DAS, BHAI (d. 1675), the martyr, was the son of Bhai Hira Mal, also called Hiranand, a Chhibbar Brahman of Kariala, now in Pakistan. His grandfather, Bhai Paraga, had embraced the Sikh faith in the time of Guru Hargobind and had taken part in battles with the Mughal forces. His uncle Dargah Mall served Guru Har Rai and Guru Har Krishan as Dtwan or manager of the household. Man Das and his brother, Sati Das, assisted Dargah Mall in his work during Guru Tegh Bahadur`s time. The former was himself appointed DTwan along with Dargah Mall who was by then considerably advanced in years.
Dtwan Mat! Das accompanied Guru Tegh Bahadur during his travels in the eastern parts in 166570. He was among those who were sci/ed, along with Guru Tegh Bahadur at Dhamtan in 1665 and then released from Delhi at the intervention of Karivar Ram Singh, of Amber. In 1675, when the Guru set out from Anandpur for Delhi, Mati Das accompanied him. He was arrested with him under imperial orders and taken to Delhi. Upon his refusal to forswear his faith, he was tortured to death. He was, on 11 November 1675, sawn into two, from head downwards.
1. Bhalla, Samp Das, Mahima Prakash. Patiala, 1971
2. Gian Singh, Giani, Sri Gur Panth Prakash. Patiala, 1970
3. Santokh Singh, Bhai, Sri Gur Pratap Suraj Granth. Amritsar, 1927-35
4. Macauliffe, Max Arthur, The Sikh Religion. Oxford, 1909
5. Trilochan Singh, Guru. Tegh Bahadur. : Prophet and Martyr. Delhi, 1967
6. Harbans Singh, Guru Tegh Bahadur. Delhi, 1989