LANGAR SINGH, BABALANGAR SINGH, BABA, an eighteenth century Nirmala saint, was the son of Bhai Parshada Singh and Mai Valtohl, a devout Sikh couple contemporary with Guru Gobind Singh (1666-1708) and living at Kot Kapura (30″35`N. 74Â°49`E) now in Faridkot district of the Punjab. The names Prasada (lit. bread or meal), ValtohT (lit. kettle) and Larigar (lit. food, meal, kitchen), it is said, were given them by the people for their warm hospitality. Larigar Singh after his education at Anandpur under Bhai Kesar Singh, who had been a student of Bhai Karam Singh, one of the five Sikhs sent by Guru Gobind Singh to VaranasT to study Sanskrit, settled down at Harike Kalari, a village 18 km cast of Muktsar, where he established a derd or seminary to leach Sikli texts and tenets. His disciple, Mahant Nikka Singh, founded five other derds, one each at Barnala, Patiala, Malerkotia, Raikot and Jagraori. According to Giant Gian Singh, Twarikh Guru Khdisd, it was Baba Larigar Singh who identified, for raising commemorative shrines, the various spots connected with the battle of Khidrana (Muktsar). The famous Maghi fair of Muktsar also owed its origin to his initiative. Baba Larigar Singh died after a brief illness at Amritsar where he had gone on pilgrimage. His samddh or memorial shrine is at Harike Kalan where his place of residence still houses a Nirmala school.
1. Ganesha Singh, Mahant, Nil-innl Bhushan arthdt Itihas Nirmal Bhekh. Amritsar, 1994 Bk
2. Dial Singh, Mahani, Nirmal Pantfi Dnrslian. Delhi, 1965
3. Gian Singh, Giani, Twankh Gw-ii Khalsn. Patiala, 1970