MOTA SINGH, SARDAR BAHADURMOTA SINGH, SARDAR BAHADUR (b. 1814), son of Mul Raj (d. 1819), entered the service of Maharaja Ranjit Singh in 1832, and was placed in the battalion of Col. Van Cortlandt. In 1837, he received a command in the Calcuttavala Battalion, but, in 1842, was replaced under Col. Van Cortlandt. He was made adjutant in 1844. After the first AngloSikh war, he was transferred to the Suraj MukhT Regiment; at the time of the outbreak in Multan he was adjutant of that corps stationed at Dera Isma`il Khan. He served throughout the second AngloSikh war.
On the annexation of the Punjab, he was appointed adjutant of the 7th Police Battalion, which he assisted to raise and organize. In September 1857, he succeeded Col. Subhan Khan, commanding the 1st Punjab Police Battalion, stationed at Lahore. His regiment guarded jails, treasuries and civil offices, and preserved peace in the city of Lahore. He was honoured with the Star of British India, and the title of Sardar Bahadur, and granted 600 acres of waste land in Lahore district and a life pension of Rs 3,000 per annum.
1. Griffin, Lepel and C. P`. Massy, Chiefs and Families of Note in the Punjab. Lahore, 1909