BANI BADARPUR is the name popularly given to what are in fact two separate villages Bani and Badarpur, 6 km from Ladva (29Â°59`N, 77Â°3`E)in Kurukshetra district of Haryana. Guru Tegh Bahadur visited this place twice. On his first visit, he came from Kurukshetra, via Muniarpur and Dudhi. He gave a bagful of money (badra, in old Punjabi) to the headman, Ram Bakhsh, for the construction of a well for use by the villagers. The latter, however, misappropriated the amount.
On his second visit, the Guru had the well dug under his own supervision. Platforms were constructed on sites sanctified by the Guru on the two occasions. Over the one, situated between the two villages, the construction of a shrine known as Gurdwara Guru Tegh Bahadur was started by Sardar Baghel Singh ofChhalaudi, a minor Sikh principality about 3 km from Bani Badarpur. It was completed by his widow. A platform also existed inside Badarpur village. A room over it has been constructed recently.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Thakar Singh, Giani. Sn Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923
3. Fauja Singh, Guru Teg Bahadur: Yatra Asthan, Pramparavari te lad Chinn. Patiala, 1976