BARAMULA (34Â° 13`N, 74Â° 23`E), a district town 52 km northwest ofSrinagar in Kashmir is situated at the mouth of the gorge by which River Jehlum leaves the Kashmir valley after passing through Wular Lake. Guru Hargobind, Nanak VI, stayed at Baramula for a few days during his visit to the valley in 1621. A memorial platform was later constructed on the site by devotees. A gurdwara, originally named Kot Tirath but now known as Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, was established during the reign of Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
Its building was badly damaged by an earthquake in 1885. The present building, a marblefloored domed hall was constructed about 1905. A new doublestoreyed hall was erected later under the supervision of Baba Harbans Singh Kar Sevavale. The Gurdwara is managed by the Jammu and Kashmir Gurdwara Prabandhak Board through its Baramula district committee, which also has the responsibility of running an educational institution. Guru Nanak Model School.
1. Gurbilas Chhevin Patshahi. Patiala, 1970
2. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Guru Khalsa. Patiala, 1970