HAFIZABAD (32Â°4`N, 73″41`E), a sub divisional town in Gujrariwala district of Pakistan, claimed a historical Sikh shrine commemorating the visit of Guru Hargobind, who stopped here briefly travelling back from Kashmir in 1620. Gurdwara Chhevih Patshahi, as it was known, remained affiliated to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee until 1947 when it was abandoned in the wake of the partition of the Punjab.
Hafizabad is also famous in the Sikh tradition because of the association of the name of the town with aJanam Sakhi manuscript which was discovered here in 1884 by Bhai Gurmukh Singh of the Oriental College, Lahore. Bhai Gurmukh Singh passed the manuscript on to Max Arthur Macauliffc, who had it lithographed. In his introduction to the lithographed edition, Bhai Gurmukh Singh designated the work as Hdfizdbdd Janam Sdkhi. The text did not diverge much from the older Colebrookc manuscript known as ValdyaivdH Janam Sdkhi.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923