BIRK, village 10 km northeast of Jagraon (30M7`N, 75Â°28`E)in Ludhiana district, is sacred to Guru Hargobind who travelling in 1631 arrived here from Siddhvan Kalan. The Gurdwara, called Manji Sahib Chhevin Patshahi, is outside the village to the southwest of it. The present complex raised in the 1970`s, has a 15metre square hall, with a pavilion of the same size in front. The Guru Granth Sahib is seated in a glasspanelled square room in the centre of the hall.
A lotus dome covered with white and green glazed tile chips in mosaic pattern tops the three storeys of the square pavilions above the sanctum. The Guru Granth Sahib is also seated in the older building, a flatroofed structure with a vaulted ceiling. The Gurdwara is managed by a village committee. The biggest festival of the year comes off on 18 Savan, marking Guru Hargobind`s visit three and a half centuries ago.
1. Gurbilas Chhevin Patshahi. Patiala, 1970