BUNGA,BUNGA, 5 km south of Kiratpur Sahib (31 Â°10`N, 76t)35`E) in Ropar district of the Punjab, claims a historical shrine Gurdwara Bunga Sahib, also called Chubachcha Sahib, dedicated to Guru Har Rai. Guru Har Rai, Nanak VII, complying with his predecessor`s instruction, continued to maintain at Kiratpura body of armed Sikhs, 2,200 strong. Bunga was the place where their horses were kept. At the back of the Gurdwara, there is a row of rooms one of which has within it a square pit symbolizing the original chubachcha or trough where the horse feed was mixed. From this the shrine came to be called Chubachcha Sahib.
The main building of the shrine stands on a high base, about 10 metres above the level of the canal bank. A doublestoreyed gateway opens out on the main hall. At the eastern end of the hall is the sanctum, a square room with a circumambulatory passage around it. The Gurdwara is managed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. Besides the morning and evening services, all the important religious anniversaries on the Sikh calendar are observed when largelyattended congregations take place.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangraht. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sn Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923