BUTALA, a village 7 km northeast of Baba Bakala (31Â°34`N, 75Â°16`E) in Amritsar district of the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Hargobind who, according to local tradition, visited here on 15 Phagun 1665 Bk/10 February 1609. The inhabitants of Butala, with the exception of an old lady and her son who followed the Sikh faith, were the worshippers of Sakhi Sarwar. One day, it is said, the son asked the mother, what offering they would have for the Guru, should he, in answer to their prayers, come to them.
They were very poor; the mother assured her son, “The Guru accepts whatever is offered with devotion. The value does not count.” From that moment, the son would always keep a rupee and a lump of jaggery tied in the corner, or palla, of his waistcloth so that he could make the offering even if he met the Guru by chance out in the fields. The villagers started calling him by the name of Bhai Palla. One day, Guru Hargobind, accompanied by his retinue of attendants, did come to Butala. Palla and his mother served him with devotion and received his benediction.
They converted their house into a Sikh place of worship. Bhai Palla`s descendants built the present Gurdwara Patshahi VI in 1887. It comprises a square sanctum, with a varandah all around. The dome and pinnacle were erected in 1943. The adjoining pavilion for congregation and rooms for residence and Guru ka Langar were added later. The Gurdwara is managed by a village committee. Besides the observance of important anniversaries on the Sikh calendar, an annual fair is held on the 15th of Phagun, falling at the end of February.
1. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923