GHARUAN, a village 8 km east of Morinda (30Â°47`N, 76Â°29`E), is sacred to Guru Har Rai. He visited the place during his travels in these parts. Several people accepted” his teachings. They established a dharamsald in the village. This was replaced by a doublestoreyed building with a high gateway during the nineteenth century. A part of this building is being used for residential purposes. The other portion has been demolished and a new hall, with prakdsh aslhdn in the centre, has been built. The Gurdwara is managed by a village committee.
The birth anniversay of Guru Har Rai is an important annual festival. Another historical gurudwara in Gharuari is Gurdwara Akal Garh Patshahi Naumi dedicated to Guru Tegh Bahadur. Guru Tegh Bahadur is said to have passed through Ghariiari when travelling to Delhi in 1675. According to local tradition, he first went to the place inside the village commemorating the visit of Guru Har Rai. But the priests there, probably not recognizing him, treated him with indifference. He came back and retired to a quiet grove, about 300 metres north of the village.
The villagers realizing their error came to make their apologies. They requested the Guru to come to the dharamsald, but he preferred to remain where he was. Next day he resumed his journey and went towards NandpurKalaur. Another tradition places Guru Tegh Bahadur`s visit in or around 1670, when he stayed here for 10 days. A carpenter, Balap Ram, served him with much devotion. The Guru healed many sick persons in the village. The Gurdwara is a single room, near a small pond in a mango grove. The Guru Granth Sahib is seated in it and is attended by a Niharig Sikh.