HAKTMPURHAKTMPUR, a village 9 km southeast of Banga (31″11`N, 76″E) in Jalandhar, district of the Punjab, claims a historical shrine called Gurdwara Nanaksar, sacred to Guru Nanak (1469-1539), who, according to local tradition, once halted here travelling from Kartarpur (Ravi). Guru Har Rai, Nanak VII, (1630-61) also visited this village and stayed here for some time during one of his journeys between Kartarpur and Kiratpur. The Gurdwara is about one kilometre north of the village. The present three storeyed building built in 1974 by Baba Nihal Singh Hariarivelarivalc comprises a marble floored hall, which encloses at the far end the 4metre square old room got built by Maharaja Ranjit Singh (1780-1839) and used as the sanctum sanctorum.
The dome atop the third storey has a gilded pinnacle. Guru ka Langar and residential quarters are to the east of the main building and the sarovar or bathing tank to the south of it. An annual religious fair is held in September. The Gurdwara is affiliated to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee but is maintained by Nihangs of the Taruna Dal led by Baba Nihal Singh of Harianvelan.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923