AKAL BUNGA, lit. the abode of the Timeless One, is the building that houses the Akal Takht in the precincts of the Darbar Sahib at Amritsar. The term is also used sometimes synonymously with Akal Takht. Strictly speaking, while Akal Takht is the institution possessing and exercising
BISHAN SINGH, GIANI (1875-1966), cleric and exegete, was a granthi or priest at the Khalsa College at Amritsar for 30 years. The Khalsa College was then a premier Sikh college excelling in research and publication in the field of Sikh studies. Four of the foremost Sikh scholars of this
HAZARA SINGH, GIANI (1828-1908), scholar and educator, was born in Amritsar in 1828. He also used to inscribe his name as Bhai Hazara Singh Giani as well as Hazur Hari. His father, Bhai Savan Singh, was employed in the Golden Temple as a store keeper. The family had migrated from
KOTHA SINGH, BHAI (d. 1705). also known as Katha Singh, was one of the martyrs of Chamkaur Sahib battle fought on 7 December 1705.
NAGAHIA, BHAI(d. 1709), was, according to Bhatt Vahi sources, the eldest of the seven sons of Lakkhi Rai and a grandson of Godhu Barhtia Kanavat of the Jado (Yadav) clan. Nagahia helped his father Lakkhi Rai remove the headless trunk of Guru Tegh Bahadur from the site of execution and
SAMAO, also pronounced Samhao, a village 2 km north of Bhikhi (30Â° 3`N, 75Â° 33`E) in Bathinda district of the Punjab, has a historical shrine called Gurdwara Patshahi Nauvin. It is said that, as Guru Tegh Bahadur was once travelling from Khiva towards Samao and Bhikhi, he was informed
SURAT SINGH, a warrior Sikh of the time of Guru Gobind Singh who, according to Samp Singh Kaushish, Guru kian Sakhian, fell fighting valiantly in the battle of Nirmohgarh (7 October 1700).
BULA, BHAI, mentioned by Bhai Gurdas, Varan, XI. 15, as one of the devoted Sikhs of the time of Guru Arigad. See DlPA, BHAI
HUDIARA, 20 km southeast of Lahore along the Lahore KhaIra road, claimed a historical shrine commemorating the visit of Guru Hargobind, who had once halted here travelling from Lahore to Amritsar. This Gurdwara was managed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee until 1947 when it was abandoned at the time
KURALI (30Â°48`N, 76Â°35`E), a town in Ropar district of the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Hargobind, who halted here on his way back from Kurukshetra to Kiratpur in 1638. Gurdwara Sri Hargobindgarh Sahib commemorates his visit. Initially, a platform and a modest hut marked the site. The Gurdwara now
New membership are not allowed.