SANDHVAN, village 13 km northeast of Phagwara (31Â° 14`N, 75Â° 46E),in Nawashahr district of the Punjab, claims a historical shrine dedicated to Guru Har Rai (1630-61), who passed through here while on his way from Kartarpur to Kiratpur. The shrine, called Gurdwara Danda Sahib Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Patshahi VII, marks the site, about 300 metres to the west of the old village, where the Guru is believed to have stopped awhile to meet the waiting sangat.
According to local tradition, the Guru stuck his walking staff (danda, in Punjabi, hence the nam of the Gurdwara) in the soft soil which later sprouted into a tree. The dried trunk of the tree stands inside a square hall which has in its middle the sanctum. The present building was constructed during the 1960`s replacing the small old domed manji sahib. The Gurdwara is managed by the village sangat.
1. Narotam, Tara Singh, Sri Guru Tirath Sangrahi. Kankhal, 1975
2. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurduarian. Amritsar, n.d.