JIVAN SINGH, COLONEL (d. 1851). eldest of the six sons of Dula Singh of Kalasvala in Siakot district, joined the army of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and was placed under Prince Kharak Singh. He first saw active service in Kashmir where he was wounded. For the bravery he displayed in
KESAR SINGH, BHAI (1875-1921), one of the Nankana Sahib martyrs, was the son of Bhai Mihari Singh and Mai Bhagan, farmers of moderate means of Bharokt village in Gujrariwala district, who later migrated to Sheikhupura district. He was a simple peasant with a large family of three sons and
MILKHA SINGH THEHPURIA (d. 1804), a powerful Sikh chief during the latter half of the eighteenth century, who, abandoning his native place, Kaleke, near Kasur, founded the village of Thehpur in Lahore district and took possession of a number of villages in its vicinity and in Gujrat and Gujrariwala
MULA SINGH, BHAI (1880-1921), one of the Nankana Sahib martyrs, was the son of Bhai Jivan Singh and Mai Gulab Kaur of Valla village, in Amritsar district. He learnt Gurmukhi during his childhood and was also married young, but remained childless. He then went abroad to Singapore where he served
NARAIN SINGH, BHAI (d. 1921), of Chakk No. 55 Burj in Lyallpur district, was originally from Navari Virianh in Amritsar district and had settled here as a colonizer after the opening of Lower Chenab Canal Colony during the 1890`s. He had learnt some Gurmukhi in the Gurdwara of his
NIRANJAN SINGH, PROFESSOR (1892-1979), educationist and writer, was born in 1892, the youngest of the five sons of Bhai Gopi Chand and Mai Mulan Devi, a Sahijdhari Sikh couple of the village of Harial in Gu|jarkhan tahsil, Rawalpindi district (now in Pakistan). His father died in 1901 and his brothers,
SHAM SINGH, SANT (1803-1926), holy man who was also an accomplished musician, was born in 1803 to Bhai Darbari and Krishan Kaur, a couple of humble means belonging to the Sevapanthi sect of the Sikhs and inhabitants of Shahpur, in Sargodha district of Pakistan. His father died when he
SOHAN SINGH, BHAl (1890-1921), one of the Nankana Sahib martyrs, was the youngest of the six children of Bhai Sher Singh and Mai Gabo of the village of Dingarian, in Jalandhar district. On the opening of the Lower Chenab Canal Colony during the 1890`s, the family migrated to Chakk No.
TEJA SINGH, SANT, earlier name Narahjan Singh, was born on 14 May 1877 in a Mahita Khatri family ( father : Ralia Singh : mother : Sada Kaur) at the village of Ballovali, in Gujranwala district of the Punjab (now in Pakistan). Teja Singh completed his schooling at Fazilka
BISHAN SINGH, SANT (1862-1949), much honoured in recent Sikh piety, was the son of Bhai Atar Singh of Kanjhia, a village 18 km northwest of Sarigrur (30Â°14`N, 75Â°50`E) in the Punjab. Born in March 1862, Bishan Singh received instruction in reciting Scripture from Sant Jagat Singh of his own
DHAKAULI, a village in Patiala district, 14 km east of Chandigarh (30Â° 44`N, 76Â° 46`E), is famous for Gurdwara Baoli Sahib, dedicated to Guru Gobind Singh. According to local tradition, the Guru, on his way back from Paonta to Anandpur in November 1688 decided to encamp on this site.
JIVA, BHAI, a Sikh living near Khadur Sahib in Amritsar district of the Punjab, who used to bring daily khichan (a dish of rice mixed with lentils) and curds for Guru Angad`s I an gar or community kitchen. One evening as a severe dust storm was raging, he, according
New membership are not allowed.