DHAKAULI, a village in Patiala district, 14 km east of Chandigarh (30Â° 44`N, 76Â° 46`E), is famous for Gurdwara Baoli Sahib, dedicated to Guru Gobind Singh. According to local tradition, the Guru, on his way back from Paonta to Anandpur in November 1688 decided to encamp on this site. He was told by the villagers that the nearest source of water was the stream Sukhna which was 2 km away.
At this the Guru pierced the ground with his spear and caused water to trickle forth and form a pool. A shrine was established later on the bank of this pool and the original spring was converted into a well. In 1979-80, the Gurdwara was handed over by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee to the followers of Sant Baba Jivan Singh for reconstruction. Special divans are held on amavasya, the last day of the dark half of every month, when pilgrims throng in large numbers.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923