ALI SHER, village 18 km north of Mansa (29Â°59\’N, 75Â°23\’E) in Bathinda district of the Punjab, was visited by Guru Tegh Bahadur during his travels in the Malva region. Arriving from Pandher, he sat outside the village. The panchayat, or village elders, of Pandher, who had shown little attention to him in their own village, on realizing their error came to All Sher to ask for pardon. They brought with them offerings of gur (jaggery) and money. On the way they met a person who was returning after seeing the Guru. They asked his advice as to what offerings they might present to the Guru to have their lapse condoned. He replied, “None. The Guru is compassionate. He overlooks the faults of others.” The residents of Pandher distributed amongst themselves the gur and money they had brought, and went to the Guru empty handed. The Guru instructed them in the path of virtue and honest living. The shrine established in memory of Guru Tegh Bahadur was developed into a proper gurdwara during the nineteenth century and was endowed by the rulers of Patiala in whose territory All Sher lay. The Gurdwara now owns 12 acres of land and is administered by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. 1. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923
2. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
3. Malva Desh Ratan di Sakhi Pothi. Amritsar, 1968
4. Harbans Singh, Guru Tegh Bahadur. Delhi, 1982 Jg.S.