AGRA (27°10’N, 78°’E), became the seat of a Sikh sangat following a visit by Guru Nanak during the first of his four long preaching journeys. Later, Guru Ram Das, in his early career as Bhai Jetha, was in Agra when he attended Akbar\’s court on behalf of Guru Amar Das, Nanak III. Guru Tegh Bahadur, Nanak IX, passed through the city on his way to the eastern parts in 1665-66. Guru Gobind Singh, the last of the Gurus, also visited Agra when he met Emperor Bahadur Shah in 1707-08.
GURDWARA MAI THAN, marking Guru Tegh Bahadur\’s second visit to Agra, is the only historical Sikh shrine in the city. It is said that Mai Jassi, an old lady who was a devout follower of the Sikh faith, had got a length of linen prepared from yarn spun with her own hands and had ever longed for an opportunity to present it to the Guru in her own home. Guru Tegh Bahadur did visit Mai Jassi’s house in the heart of Agra and received the offering. He was pleased with her devotion and, as a parting boon, pronounced the blessing that her name would live forever.
Mai Jassi’s house is now a gurdwara. It is known by the name of Mai Than. By this name is also known the mahalla. in which it is situated. Gurdwara Mai Than, in a narrow lane, has a spacious square divan hall, with the Guru Granth Sahib seated in the centre on a canopied throne of white marble. In a room above the entrance gate, a museum has been established with pictures depicting scenes from Sikh history, especially martyrdoms. The Gurdwara, registered as the Sri Guru Singh Sabha, is managed by Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Central Board, Agra.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923