ANANTNAG (33Â° 44`N, 75Â° 13`E), a district town on the southern edge of the Kashmir valley, is named after a nearby spring which is regarded as sacred by the Hindus. The town claims a historical Sikh shrine commemorating the visit of Guru Nanak (1469-1539), who passed through here on his way to Mattan in 1517. The present building of Gurdwara Guru Nanak in the southern part of the town was constructed in 1950, and a second storey was added to it in 1970.
The divan hall, with the sanctum along the middle of the rear wall, is in the central portion of the first floor. The Gurdwara is affiliated to the Jammu and Kashmir Gurdwara Parbandhak Board and is managed by its district commitee for Anantnag.