PINJAURPINJAUR, famous for its historic Mughal gardens, is a small town, IS km northeast of Chandigarh (30″44`N, 76Â°47`E). Gurdwara Pahili Patshahi Mariji Sahib, close to the ancient remains of Dhara Mandap, about 75 metres from the Yadavindra Gardens, commemorates the visit of Guru Nanak who arrived here from Kalka on 15 Assu 1574 Rk/13 September 1517 in the course of his travels through these parts. Here he discoursed with yogis assembled at Dhara Mandap and impressed upon them the futility of selftorture and renunciation as a means to liberation.
Only a small manji sahib or platform existed on the spot until Maharaja Karam Singh of Patiala (1798-1845) had the present gurudwara constructed, Pirijaur having become part of Patiala state in 1778, during the rule of Raja Amar Singh. The Gurdwara is situated on a raised plinth, with a small coutyard in front. The central doublestoreyed structure, where the Guru Granth Sahib is installed, is topped by a fourcornered low dome and is surrounded by a circumambulatory verandah. An annual fair is held on Baisakh sudi 3 (April) to celebrate the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak.
The management is in the hands of the local committee of Gurdwara Nada Sahib, under the overall control of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. The gardens formerly known as Pinjaur Gardens or Mughal Gardens acquired the new name from the late Maharaja Yadavinder Singh of Patiala, who died suddenly on 17 June 1974 and in whose territory Pinjaur lay during his days of authority.
1. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurduarian. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Narotam, Tara Singh, Sri Guru Tirath Sangrahi. Kankhal, 1975