SIRHALI KALAN, commonly pronouned Sarhali Kalan (31Â°l7`N, 74″56`E), a village 6 km east of Patti in Amritsar district of the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Aijan (1563-1606), who once stayed here for a while along with his family. Gurdwara Chubachcha Sahib commemorating the visit stands inside the village. Its present building, constructed during the 1950`s by followers of Sant Gurmukh Singh Sevavale, has in the basement a chubachcha, a circular masonry trough used for storing water, which marks the site where the Guru had stayed and which gives the shrine its name.
The sanctum is a raised platform at the far end of the marble floored hall built over the Chubachcha Sahib. Above the sanctum is a domed room topped by a gilded pinnacle. Guru ka Langar and residential accommodation are in the backyard of the oneacre compound. The Gurdwara owns 25 acres of arable land and is administered by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee.
1. Narotam, Tara Singh, Sri Gum Th`ath Sangrahi. Kankhal, 1975
2. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurduanari. Amritsar, n.d
3. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darslian. Amritsar, 1923