DHANNA SINGH, BHAI (d. 1935), an indefatigable Sikh pilgrim, was born about 1893, the son of Sundar Singh, a ChahalJatt of the village Ghanauri in Sarigrur district of the Punjab. His original name was Lal Singh. His father died when he was barely tan years old, and he and his
MUZANG, now part of Lahore in Pakistan, was, during the seventeenth century, a village about 2.5 km south of the old city. Guru Hargobind (1595-1644) stopped here for some time during his visit to Lahore. Gurdwara Chheviri Patshahi, later built here to commemorate the Guru`s visit, was affiliated to the
PADHANA, pronounced Bharhana, a village barely half a kilometre on the Pakistan side of the IndoPak border, is sacred to Guru Hargobind (1595-1694) who once stayed here during his journey from Lahore to Amritsar. The historical Gurdwara Patshahi VI commemorating the Guru`s visit remained affiliated to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak
PAONTA SAHIB (30° 25`N, 77° 35`E). a town on the right bank of the River Yamuna in Sirmur district of Himachal Pradesh, was founded by Guru Gobind Singh in November 1685. The land was an offering from Raja Mcdini Prakash of Nahan. Guru Gobind Singh stayed here for about three
SIKH ARCHITECTURE, style and design of building conspicuously popular among the Sikhs, is owed primarily to their religious monuments. Their secular edifices such as fortresses, palaces, samadhs (mausoleums built over places of cremation), havelis (fortified houses), bungas (residential cum educational houses ), educational institutions, etc, are no different from the
SRI GUR TIRATH SANGRAHI (Sri = honoured; gur= Gurus of the Sikh faith ; tirath = places of pilgrimage ; sangrahi = collection) by Pandit Tara Singh Narotam, lists places across the country hallowed by the visits of the Gurus and their families. The work, written in Gurmukhi script was
UGANI, a small village 10 km from Rajpura (30Â°28`N, 76Â°37`E), in Patiala district, has its twin shrines dedicated to Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Gobind Singh. Both are located in the same building, constructed by Maharaja Karam Singh of Patiala (1798-1845). The Gurdwara comprises three small rooms in a row.
New membership are not allowed.