SRI GUR TIRATH SANGRAHI (Sri = honoured; gur= Gurus of the Sikh faith ; tirath = places of pilgrimage ; sangrahi = collection) by Pandit Tara Singh Narotam, lists places across the country hallowed by the visits of the Gurus and their families. The work, written in Gurmukhi script was
CHAHAL, 15 km southeast of Lahore, was the ancestral village of Mata Tripta, mother of Guru Nanak. This was the birthplace of Bibi Nanaki, Guru Nanak`s sister. Guru Nanak visited the village on several occasions. Gurdwara Dera Chahal, which marked the house of the Guru`s maternal grandfather, Rama, was under
SUDHAIL, one of the two villages in Ambala district of Haryana about 400 metres apart from each other, but popularly called by the joint name of Sudhal Sudhail, situated 7 km west of Jagadhri (30"7`N, 77"17`E), claims a historical gurdwara. It is called Gurdwara Manji Sahib Patshahi Nauim. Sikh
CHANDA, CHANDRAMA (CHANDRA, SOMA) (Chandra) abides in the forehead of Shiva and bathes in the Ganges; though in his dynasty (Lunar) came Krishna, the incarnation of Vishnu (who has a bow in his hand), but still the blemish due to his past action (of acting as an accomplice of
Singh, Tara, also known as Tara Singh Kamil, was born in Hookran district of Hoshiarpur, Punjab. He now lives in Delhi and is engaged in journalism. Singh began his literary career as a poet of light, witty and humorous pieces which became instantly popular at \'Kavi Darbars\'. He moved
DALJIT SINGH (d. 1937), one of the passengers on board the S.S. Komagata Maru, was born at the village of Kauni, now in Faridkot district. He passed his matriculation examination and became assistant editor on the Panjabi Bhain, a journal sponsored by Sikh Kanya Mahavidyalaya, Firozpur, to promote the
TARA CHAND, BHAJ, was a masand or a batch leader of the Sikhs in Kabul. He once led a sarigat of those parts to the presence of Guru Hargobind. Travelling through Lahore, Amritsar and Khadur, they reached Kangar, now in Bathinda district of the Punjab, where the Guru then
DAULOVAL.4 km north of Kiratpur (31Â° ll`N, 76Â° 35`E) in Ropar district of the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Har Rai (1630-61), who used to encamp here during his visits in summer. According to local tradition, it was here that the Guru received the royal summons to see the emperor
TARA CHAND, DIWAN (d. 1858), son of Diwan Karam Chand, entered the Sikh service in 1822. His first employment was in Peshawar under Diwan Kirpa Ram. He was sent in the following year to Kangra, with civil and military authority, to collect the revenues, and in 1832 was tranferred
HUDIARA, 20 km southeast of Lahore along the Lahore KhaIra road, claimed a historical shrine commemorating the visit of Guru Hargobind, who had once halted here travelling from Lahore to Amritsar. This Gurdwara was managed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee until 1947 when it was abandoned at the time
TARA SINGH GHAIBA (1717-1807), chief of the Dallevalia clan, named after the village of Dalleval to which its founder, Gulab Singh, belonged. Tara Singh was a shepherd turned out law who joined Gulab Singh Dallevalia in his plundering raids. His dexterity in lifting cattle and flocks of sheep and
JALALABAD (34°26`N, 70°28`E), a prominent town in Eastern Afghanistan, has a historical Sikh shrine, Gurdwara Choha Sahib Patshahl Pehli, honouring the memory of Guru Nanak, who visited here during his travels in these parts in the first quarter of the. sixteenth century.
New membership are not allowed.