ALAMGIR, a village in Ludhiana district, 13 km to the southwest of the city (30Â°54’N, 75Â°52’E), is famed for its Gurdwara Manji Sahib Patshahi 10. Guru Gobind Singh made a halt in the village as he was travelling after the battle of Chamkaur in December 1705. Here the Guru discarded the palanquin which he had used for part of the journey, and took a horse presented by an old disciple, Bhai Naudha. A Manji Sahib was later constructed on the site. At present, the gurdwara compound covers over three acres of land.
A four storeyed gateway topped over by a small lotus dome opens on a vast paved courtyard across which is the central building a divan hall, with a verandah all around. The prakash asthan adjoining the hall has a basement marking the original site of the Manji Sahib. Above the prakash asthan there is a 3 storeyed domed tower with domed turrets at the corners. For larger gatherings on festivals, a vast shelter of reinforced concrete was built in 1969 in honour of the 500th anniversary of the birth of Guru Nanak. The dining hall can accommodate 2,000 persons at a time.There are several blocks of residential rooms for staff and pilgrims.
A legend has grown around the 63 metre square sarovar, the holy tank, called Tir Sar. It is said that the Guru shot down a huge python occupying the only well in the vicinity. But the monster bled so profusely that it made the water of the well unfit for drinking. There being no other source of water near by, the Guru shot another arrow into the ground and caused clean water to spring forth. The pool so formed came to be named after the arrow (tir). People still believe that the water of this pool cures diseases. A three day fair is held at Alamgir from 1416 Poh (Decemberend) every year. The management of Gurdwara Manji Sahib is in the hands of a local committee under the control of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee.
1. Tara Singh, Sri Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923
3. Randhir, G.S., Sikh Shrines in India. Delhi, 1990