GHUKKEVALI, village 21 km north of Amritsar (31Â°38`N, 74Â°52`E) and connected by a link road to the AmritsarAjnalaDera Baba Nanak road, has two historical shrines, sacred to Guru Arjan (1563-1606) and Guru Tegh Bahadur (1621-75), respectively. GURDWARA GURU KA BAGH, located in what was formerly called Guru kl Raur (raur is a Punjabi word for a barren tract of land), commemorates Guru Arjan`s stay here during his travel through the Majha country.
A small shrine was established by Bhai Ghukka, the founder of the village, whose descendants continued to look after it. When Guru Tegh Bahadur visited the place in 1664, he encouraged the villagers to dig a well and raise a garden in the barren tract. As a result, Guru kT Raur in time became Guru ka Bagh (lit. Guru`s Garden). A gurudwara was established and richly endowed during the time of the Sikh ruler, Maharaja Ranjit Singh (1780-1839).
Like many other shrines it was under the control ofUdasi priests, and it was after a grim, nonviolent agitation, known as Guru ka Bagh morchd, in 1922, that the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee secured possession of the shrine and of lands attached to it.The present building complex was constructed during tlie 1980`s within a highwalled compound. At the far end of the main assembly hall is the sanctum topped by a domed pavilion. In front of the hall is the sarovar, on the bank of which stands a tall memorial in honour of the martyrs of the Guru ka Bagh morchd of 1922.
A separate gurudwara, equally elegant, in the same compound commemorates the visit of Guru Tegh Bahadur. GURDWARA BAOLI SAHIB is also dedicated to Guru Tegh Bahadur. The open well [bdofi`m Punjabi) caused to be dug by the Guru still exists. Close to it is the assembly hall, with the sanctum at the far end. Both these gurudwaras arc managed by a local committee under the auspices of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee.