MADDOKEMADDOKE, village 16 km southeast of Moga (30Â°-48\’N, 75Â°-10\’E), in Moga district, has a historical shrine, Gurdwara Guru Sar, dedicated to Guru Hargobind who, according to local tradition, visited this place twice, once on his way back from Nanak Mata to Darauli and again after the battle of Mehraj. It is said that Madho Das, an Udasi recluse and a devotee of the Sikh Gurus, lived here in a thatched hut and that Guru Hargobind stayed with him on both occasions.
A memorial platform built on the spot was replaced during the nineteenth century by a one-room gurdwara by Suhel Singh, a retired thanedar, who belonged to the neighbouring village of Chuhar Chakk. He also had a tank dug near by and with the earth excavated built a raised platform around the small room. In 1926, the tank was developed into a regular sarovar with paved rows of steps. The following year, the Sikhs of a Sappers and Miners army unit installed the 32-metre tall flagmast. A spacious divan hall supported on 16 cylinderical pillars was added in the 197O\’s.
The Guru Granth Sahib is seated on a square platform in the middle on the far side of this hall. Above the sanctum are three storeys of square pavilions capped by a lotus dome. The Gurdwara is affiliated to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, but is managed by priests from the Bhindranvala school. A 3 day annual fair is held on 16,17 and 18 Savan (July-August) in commemoration of Guru Hargobind\’s visit. The first such fair was held in 1926 on the completion of the sarovar. Prior to that the major festival of the year was Maghi, the first of the Bikrami month of Magh (mid-January).
1. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurduarian. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Tara Singh, Sri Guru Tirath Sangrahi. Kankhal, 1975
3. Thakar Singh, Giani, Granth Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923