NANDPURNANDPUR, commonly referred to as NandpurKalaur because of its proximity to the village by the name of Kalaur, is 9 km from Bassi Pathanan (30Â°42`N. 76Â°25`E) in Fatehgarh Sahib district. The historical shrine at Nandpur, Gurdwara Sahib Patshahi Nauviri, commemorates the visit of Guru Tegh Bahadur. The present building constructed over the old Manji Sahib, was completed in 1957. It appears that Nandpur village sank down sometime after the construction of the Manji Sahib.
In the first quarter of the present century when Bhai Kahn Singh compiled his Gurushabad Ratndkar Mahdn Kosh, the Gurdwara “stood on a low patch which was subject to flooding during the rains.” The sinking of the village is also evidenced by an ancient gateway of which only the arch is now above the ground level. The present Gurdwara stands on a high plinth. The old Manji Sahib, however, is preserved as basement below the sanctum.
Above the basement, in the hall, is installed the Guru Granth Sahib. The whole complex is in a walled compound entered through an imposing doublestoreyed gateway decorated with pilasters and stuccowork. Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Library has been built recently opposite the Gurdwara gate. It was inaugurated on 3 July 1978. The Gurdwara is managed by the ShiromanT Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee.
1. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurduarian. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Narotam, Tara Singh, Sri Guru Tirath Sangrahi. Kankhal, 1975